The first Norddeich
Radio transmitting installation, in service since 1905, should not go unremarked.
This installation reflects extraordinary technical change in it's 63 years
The 120 m high
antenna masts were for decades a true sign of this installation, and recently
sported a red blinking light, a heraldic symbol for Norddeich Radio.
old transmitting station Norddeich. The receiving station Utlandshörn
is visible in the background between the 2nd and 3rd antennas on the left.
This photo is probably from the early 50's.
remember that when travelling to the islands of Juist and Norderney, they
had a very good view of the antennas when they were in deep water way.
The last transmitter
was shut down in 1970, and they began taking down the antennas. One
120 m mast was left up as a tourist attraction and monument. By 1975,
age and time had caught up with this relic, and part of the upper mast
broke off, fell, and tuck in the ground. Due to cost and safety
concerns, the last mast was taken down.
In recent years
the area has been converted to a nice modern campground, and the building
converted to the camping headquarters, sanitary facilities, a restaurant
It is good to know
that today the massive reinforced antenna foundations are still distributed
around the camping area as a sign of the technical aera that certainly will
not be forgotten.