Transmitting Station Osterloog
The transmitting station Osterloog was about 11 km northeast of the receiving station Utlandshörn, and was an important part of Norddeich Radio. This generous separation was necessary because with the high transmitting power level, if closer the receiving´equipment would have died.
In the years with the highest traffic level, there were 6 short-wave transmitters with 20 kw output, and 6 combination of coastal telephony and short-wave transmitters with 10 kw output. There were also 5 medium-wave transmitters with 5 kw output.
Overlooking the antenna area was the 133 m high tubular mast for 500 kHz. This mast was for this frequency almost the ideal quarter-wave height. Then came 65 m high steel towers for medium-wave transmission, and 22 m high Prism antennas for coastal telephony transmission. Six horizontal dipoles and four log-periodics completed the antennas for short-wave.
The ac power was 380/220 volts three-phase from transformers at 600 kva. In event of power failure there were two diesel-generators with an aggregate output of 450 kva.
In Osterloog there were about 45 people employed.
Not mentioned also was the transmitting station in Elmshorn, near Hamburg. Here for our needs were 14 transmitters operated by remote control for Norddeich Radio.
In Sahlenburg near Cuxhaven there was also a small transmitting station with two medium-wave reserve transmitters with 3 kw output, and two coastal telephony and short-wave transmitters with 10 kw output.
From this falls one little story: Presently we had to call a ship that was a very long way off. For us in night service, we had a procedure in our box of tricks. We connected transmitters in Utlandshörn and Sahlenburg in parallel,and called the ship on 500 kHz. Due to delays in keying from Cuxhaven, this parallel operation must not have sounded very good. Quickly came a call from a friendly coastal station on 500 kHz, who said: "DAN UR TX IS NOT OK MODULATION VY BAD." We thanked him for the information, disconnected the second transmitter, and were pleased when the called ship actually reported.
Worth mentioning is perhaps the story of the radio station at Osterloog. In the 1930's it was built as short-wave station "Bremen," and broadcast propaganda in English during WWII to England. After the war it was put in short-wave service for the British Liberation Army.
In 1948 the transmitter was identified as NWDR (Nordwest Deutscher Rundfunk), and later changed to NDR (Norddeutscher Rundfunk).
In 1964 it was taken over by the former Deutsche Bundespost, converted to maritime service, and put into service in 1967.
Today people don't remember
that for ten long years "Radio Dramas" were played out here.
Photo-Gallery Transmitting Station Osterloog